Microwave oven buying guide | best-microwave-oven.com
Microwave Oven Buying Guide:
With the advent of technology and changing technological needs, microwave oven usage has increased. Typical kitchen electric or Gas appliances are now given least importance as it involves more time and energy.
Microwave ovens are an essential unit in every kitchen nowadays. Microwave ovens are used to cook, grill, reheat, bake food items.
You can have multiple and wide variety of cooking options with microwave ovens that outsmart with the conventional gas or electric stove cooking. With technological needs, the microwave ovens now come with a grill and bake options as well.
Microwave Ovens save time and energy and is the best choice to be part of your kitchen for your daily needs.
Now that, we have seen what makes Microwave Ovens so special to have it as an essential thing in your kitchen, we also walk you through how to choose the best Microwave ovens based on your daily needs.
Are microwave ovens safe?
For most of us, the first question when we think of buying a microwave oven comes in mind is that “Are microwave ovens safe?”. The answer to the question is YES, they are absolutely safe when maintained properly.
Most of the Microwave ovens come with sealed metal containers which prevent the waves from leaking out. It also has a built-in feature where the device identifies the door if it is opened then immediately stops the magnetron from operating.
Most of the microwave ovens come with safety features that prevent the device from any radiation leakage. The radiation in case of a leak will have very little impact as it is much less compared to radiation generated by cellular phone.
What are the essential factors to look at while buying a microwave oven?
Now that, you have decided to buy a microwave oven, let us see the essentials to consider before buying the right microwave oven for you. This note will serve as an essential microwave buying guide for you.
Below are the primary and essential factors to consider before buying right microwave oven for you:
- Microwave Oven Type
- Microwave Oven Capacity
- Microwave Oven Technology
- Microwave Oven Features
- Microwave Oven Pricing
Let us see in detail about each of the essentials.
1. Microwave Oven Type:
Depending on the daily needs in your kitchen, one can opt for best microwave oven that will satisfy the needs. The primary or essential feature is Microwave Oven Type. There are many Microwave Oven Types in industry, which serves each essential needs of your kitchen.
Microwave Oven Types are of 3: Solo microwave oven, Grill Microwave oven and Convection microwave oven.
Solo microwave oven: These are basic model ovens meant for small family use (2 members) or useful for bachelors. This is because it has one magnetron and usage is very limited. It is not meant to be used for grilling and baking purposes. Solo microwave ovens are best used for purposes like simple cooking and re-heating. This oven will always produce uniform heating.
Grill microwave oven: Grill microwave ovens works by a technique where very hot, direct and dry heat is used to heat the air which provides un-even heating to the food. The Grilling technique uses the dry heat to roast the working piece.
It consists of a tube that provides direct and dry hot air by heating. It has advantages as well as disadvantages. Advantages of being Easier cleaning and faster cooking. Disadvantages being Uneven cooking.
Convection microwave oven: Convection microwave oven works by a method of transmission of heat between the walls (external & internal) and environment and cooks the workpiece in the internal environment. The heat transfer generally occurs between heaters and the placed food object. Convection ovens save a lot of money, time and energy as its technology is as advanced as the other two oven types.
|Food to cook||Solo||Grill||Convection|
|Milk, Tea, Coffee||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Rice, Noodles, Pasta||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Cakes & Bread||Yes|
2. Microwave Oven Type:
Microwave ovens are available in different sizes and capacity ranges. Depending on the usage and number of persons at home, once can easily identify the capacity of microwave oven required to cater to the daily needs.
Depending on the family members’ size and daily usage we can calculate size to be chosen to buy a microwave oven. As the size is always be measured in liters, microwave ovens come with different sizes and capacities. The higher the size and capacity and features the more the pricing ranges will be.
- For a small family of 2 to 4 Members a Solo microwave oven will come in different capacity mostly it will be from 15 to 20 Liter ideal capacity
- For a family of 4 to 6 Members a Solo microwave oven of 25 to 30 Liter will cater the need
- For a small family of 2 to 4 Members a Grill Microwave oven will come in different capacity mostly it will be from 21 to 30 Liters.
- For a family of 4 to 6 Members a Grill Microwave oven of 32 Liters and above will cater the need
- For a small family of 2 to 4 Members a Convection microwave oven will come in different capacity mostly it will be from 21 to 30 Liters.
- For a family of 4 to 6 Members a Convection Microwave oven of 32 Liters and above will cater the need
|Solo||15 to 20 Liters||up to 4 Members|
|Solo||25 to 30 Liters||up to 6 Members|
|Grill||21 to 30 Liters||up to 4 Members|
|Grill||32 Liters and above||up to 6 Members|
|Convection||21 to 30 Liters||up to 4 Members|
|Convection||32 Liters and above||up to 6 Members|
3. Microwave Oven Technology:
The key features in microwave oven is electromagnetic radiation. All the microwave ovens work with electromagnetic radiation produced by a magnetron inside the oven. The magnetron is the heart of it and produces the electromagnetic radiations in microwave frequency ranges, inside the unit which helps to develop heat to cook food.
Microwave ovens are very efficient in re-heating, cooking and grilling depend on the type of microwave oven quickly because of the technology it works with. The microwave frequency range electromagnetic radiation produced by magnetron is so efficient and cook or re-heats food at very less time, saving time and energy.
- The magnetron inside the unit generates high powered radio waves by taking electricity as input
- The Radio waves then navigates to and forth the container which In turn pass through the food and vibrates the food molecules.
- This vibration generates heat and hence the food gets heated.
The rotating food container makes food cook more evenly.
4. Microwave Oven Features:
With the advancement of technology and needs, microwave ovens are now bundled with lots of features, the more a microwave oven features and size the high is the price range. Some of the common features are as below:
- Auto Cook: Most of the microwave ovens come with this feature. Auto Cook feature enables one to select the cooking type or dish type and simply relax. The microwave oven does everything for you.
- Defrost: with this feature frozen food can be defrosted with the help of heat being generated by the oven.
- Pre-heat: Preheat feature enables to set temperatures inside the oven before one can place the food to cook.
- Child-lock: Child lock is the safety feature that comes with almost all the microwave ovens nowadays. The oven door can be locked with a preset password which will help prevent any accidental activities performed by children in your absence.
- Timer: Most of the ovens comes with LED or LCD lights denoting timing.
- Removable racks: some microwave ovens come with easily removable racks for more easy cleaning and maintenance
- Pre-set programs: Pre-set programs help in easy use of microwave ovens. Most of the cooking menus can be selected using these programs.
- Smooth interiors with overlining: Microwave oven come with overlining giving smooth interiors for best and effortless cleaning.
- Inverter technology: Inverter technology feature comes with some high and expensive, high-end microwave ovens.
5. Microwave Oven Pricing:
Microwave oven pricing depends on the type, size, and features. Most of the basic models come in the price range of 5000 INR to 7000 INR. Advance models are costlier depend on the type, size, and features. Below are some of the price ranges depending on type:
- Solo: Solo microwave oven price ranges from 5000 INR to 7000 INR
- Grill: Grill microwave oven price ranges from 8000 INR to 10000 INR
- Convection: Convection microwave oven price ranges from 12000 to 18000 INR
Microwave oven vs Oven Toaster and Griller (OTG)
I hope you have now a clear idea about buying a microwave oven.
but wait, have you ever wondered what is best for you to choose a Microwave oven or an Oven Toaster and Griller (OTG). We will discuss this in detail and give you a clear understanding on the same.
- OTG (Oven Toaster and Griller):
- OTG is also called as mini-oven used to bake, reheat, toast.
- The amount of cooking time is considerably more when compared to a microwave oven.
- It produces heat by generating heat in ceiling and roof coils.
- For grilling heating top coil and for normal baking heating both the coils will be done.
- The OTG’s are best for the tasty food but not for the speed they cook.
- Microwave oven:
- As discussed about microwave ovens, it produces heat by using magnetron which in turn generated microwaves (radio waves).
- These waves penetrate through food particles and make them in motion which in turn generates heat and cook the food with the heat produced.
- Microwave ovens like convection microwave oven can be used for baking, grilling and much more.
Microwave oven brands:
Alright, now that you have reached to a point where you can decide yourself what you can choose a microwave oven with its type or an OTG. Let us see some famous brands of microwave ovens in the market. Most famous players in the market are:
- LG: LG Microwave ovens come with different technological advancements like Easy Clean Interiors, Convection cooking, pizza baking drawer etc. To browse for LG Microwave Ovens, Visit Here.
- IFB: IFB is a major player in the industry for the microwave ovens. It comes with lots of features that will help fulfill all your kitchen needs.
To browse for IFB Microwave Ovens, Visit Here.
- Electrolux: Electrolux is an industry player with a wide range of microwave ovens. To browse for Electrolux Microwave Ovens, Visit Here.
- Panasonic: Panasonic microwave ovens are in the price ranges from 6000 INR to 35000 INR which makes all your kitchen needs. To browse for Panasonic Microwave Ovens, Visit Here.
- Samsung, GE, and Kenmore: These are other fast-selling brands available in the industry. To browse for Samsung, GE, and Kenmore Microwave Ovens, Visit Here.
Microwave hazards and safety Instructions:
One should be very careful in using the microwave ovens and follow all the precautions in your day to day use. Below listed are the safety Instructions one has to follow:
- Use child lock feature to help prevent any usage by children in your absence
- Since microwave ovens use micro(radio) waves, the use of metal substances or utensils is strictly prohibited inside the oven.
- While using plastic containers or utensils it is highly recommended to use microwave-safe utensils or containers
- While using glass containers or utensils it is highly recommended to use microwave-safe utensils or containers
- Use Oven gloves while using a microwave oven, as it will be very hot during the baking process
- FDA (Food and Drug Association of America) recommends that microwave ovens do not contaminate food and hence there is no health risk in eating microwave cooked food.
- Regularly clean the microwave ovens, to use it better for long duration and ages.
Click here if you want to read about Top 10 Microwave ovens in India.